Coughlin Campanile, the face of South Dakota State University, is a chimes tower that stands 165 feet tall. Made of limestone and brick, the campanile was a gift from 1909 graduate Charles Coughlin, who was the president of the Briggs and Stratton Company from 1935 to 1972.
The campanile rings out the time, on the hour and plays music during the 10-minute period in-between classes as students are walking on campus.
Over the years, steps have been made to preserve the campanile. A speaker replaced the chimes in July 1995. A full restoration was completed on the tower in 2001.
To visit the campanile and climb its 180 steps, check out a key at the Alumni Association office or the University Police Department.