Coolidge Sylvan Theatre is an outdoor event space, was dedicated in 1927 by Calvin Coolidge, the only sitting U.S. President to ever visit South Dakota State University.
Ada Caldwell, an art professor at State from 1899 to 1937, designed the space. Located just off Medary Avenue, the green space has several structures and wrought iron gates.
This was the site for several commencement exercises until 1973, when Frost Arena was completed. Plays, presidential inaugurations and outdoor celebrations are still held at the theatre.