The SDSU Meat Judging program exists to generate student interest in meat science and to develop teamwork, communication and critical-thinking skills among program participants. Participating on the Meat Judging team is an excellent complement to a student’s education at SDSU, through teaching students to evaluate final product quality, fabrication procedures and marketing in the meat industry. Meat Judging team members are given the opportunity to represent SDSU and compete with other universities at seven national competitions in Colorado, Texas, Pennsylvania, Iowa and Nebraska. Meat judging offers students the ability to learn about the meat industry and become more involved with the end product of livestock production.
Interested students can become involved by taking the Introduction to Meats Judging Course (AS 200). Upon completion of AS 200, students are eligible to become a member of the Meat Judging team and represent SDSU at national competitions.
The SDSU Meat Judging Team competes in seven contests annually:
- National Western - Denver, Colorado
- Southwestern - Ft. Worth, Texas
- Iowa State Invitational - Ames, Iowa
- Eastern National - Wyalusing, Pennsylvania
- American Royal - Emporia, Kansas
- Excel High Plains - Plainview, Texas
- International - South Sioux City, Nebraska