Lieutenant Colonel Jason A. Haufschild, Det 780 Commander
Lieutenant Colonel Jason Haufschild is the Commander of Air Force ROTC Detachment 780 and the Professor of Aerospace Studies at South Dakota State University in Brookings, South Dakota. Lieutenant Colonel Haufschild leads a cadre of personnel who recruit, educate, and train cadets at South Dakota State University and three crosstown schools in the state.
Lt Col Haufschild grew up in Arlington, South Dakota and received his commission in 2001 as a distinguished graduate from the Air Force ROTC program at South Dakota State University. He attended Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. Lt Col Haufschild is a command pilot with more than 3,900 flying hours in the T-37, F-15E, MQ-1 and MQ-9, with over 900 hours as an instructor and evaluator. He has flown over 500 combat hours and 1400 combat support hours supporting Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL.
2001 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, South Dakota State University, Brookings, S.D.
2001 Aerospace Basic Course (ASBC), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science, Aeronautical Science, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2008 Squadron Officer School (SOS), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air Command and Staff College (ACSC) by correspondence
2018 Air War College (AWC) by correspondence
1. Jun 2001 – Feb 2002, Section Commander, 5th Operations Support Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
2. Feb 2002 – May 2004, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training and Pilot Instructor Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. May 2004 – Mar 2007, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Asst Chief of Check Section, 89th Flying Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
4. Mar 2007 – Jan 2008, Student, F-15E Formal Training Unit, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. Jan 2008 – Mar 2011, F-15E Flight Lead, Chief of Training, Chief of Scheduling, Director of Staff, 494th Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force (RAF) Lakenheath, United Kingdom
6. Mar 2011 – Apr 2012, Asst Director of Operations, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
7. Apr 2012 – Jun 2014, MQ-9 Flight Examiner, MQ-1B Pilot, Asst Director of Operations, 22d Reconnaissance Squadron, Creech AFB, Nev
8. Jun 2014 – Feb 2016, Wing Director of Inspections, 432d Wing, Creech AFB, Nev.
9. Feb 2016 – Feb 2017, Director of Operations, MQ-9 Flight Examiner, 17th Attack Squadron, Creech AFB, Nev.
10. Mar 2017 – Mar 2018, Commander, 46th Expeditionary Attack Squadron, Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait
11. Mar 2018 – May 2020, Deputy Commander, 732d Operations Group, Creech AFB, Nev.
12. Jun 20 – Present, Commander, AFROTC Detachment 780, South Dakota State University, Brookings, S.D.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,900
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-15E, MQ-1B and MQ-9A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with 15 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant - 2001
First Lieutenant - 2003
Captain - 2005
Major - 2011
Lieutenant Colonel - 2016