Skip to main content

Admission FAQs

What’s your admission deadline?
We don’t have one. Our rolling admissions policy means that we accept applications year-round. To give yourself enough time to arrange housing, financial aid and apply for scholarships, we recommend that you apply 8 to 10 months before you wish to attend.

What are your admission requirements?
That depends on the type of student you are. Admission requirements are available for each type of student including:

How much will it cost?
Not much. Our rates are very reasonable and very competitive. Check out our cost estimate to get an idea of the whole package.

How do I apply for financial aid?
Complete the FAFSA by March 10. This will put you in the running for any federal loans, grants, and work-study that you may be eligible to receive.

Our academic scholarship priority deadline is December 15. For first-time, incoming freshmen, we base scholarship decisions on academics, involvement and leadership, your personal statement and a recommendation letter.

What are your in-state residency requirements for tuition purposes?
In order to establish residency for tuition purposes, a student must live in South Dakota for 12 consecutive months prior to the first scheduled day of classes. Attendance at a college or university controlled by the South Dakota Board of Regents does not count in determining the twelve-month period of residence.

Students interested in applying for residency must submit the residency application along with all required supplemental materials.

What is the Minnesota Reciprocity Agreement, and how do I qualify for it?
The Minnesota Reciprocity tuition rate is established through a negotiated agreement between the South Dakota Board of Regents and the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Board. The rate is based on the average cost of tuition at Minnesota universities. Any applicant who is a Minnesota resident at the time they apply automatically qualifies for the reciprocity rate.

Am I required to live on campus?
Maybe. We require that all students who are two years or less beyond high school graduation live on campus.

Beyond two years? Residential Life has some other great on-campus options.

May I keep my car on campus?
Of course. Parking permits may be purchased through SDSU's Parking Office. Call 605.688.PARK for more information.

Does SDSU accept Advanced Placement credits?
SDSU can accept AP credits for students who take the exam at the end of the course and earn the minimum required score. AP score reports can be sent to SDSU when students place our school code (6653) on their test registration application. Once a score report is received, an SDSU report is sent to the student to indicate allowable credit based on the AP test score.

To complete the process of placing credits on a transcript, the student must complete an Application for Placement Credit form from the Academic Evaluation and Assessment Office.