Be Prepared for Online Learning
Review the D2L Technical Requirements and Resources.
Establish a study space, preferably a space free from distraction.
To understand the tools available in D2L and how to use them, review the D2L Tutorials
Internet Access Options
Across the United States:
- Comcast COVID – 19 response: Free Wifi for 2 months (income criteria may apply) plus all Xfinity hot-spots
- Charter Free Internet offer for 2 months
- AT&T COVID-19 response: Open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans (income criteria may apply)
- Verizon COVID-19 response
- Sprint COVID-19 response
- T-Mobile COVID-19 response
Broadband Options (by state)
- Suddenlink (available in the following states: AR, AZ, CA, ID, KS, KY, LA, MO, MS, NC, NM, NV, OH, OK, TX, WV
- Optimum (available in the following states: CT, NJ, NY
Cell/mobile Service Option:
Altice Mobile (note: limited access in South Dakota and upper Midwest, but option for individuals in other areas
Be Successful in Your Online Course
Make a plan to stay on track with your coursework and plan to login daily. Check out Time Management for Distance Learners.
Look ahead and be aware of upcoming due dates and exams.
Do not procrastinate. Check out Overcoming Procrastination: Tips for Distance Learners.
Stay in contact with your professor. If you have a question, be sure to speak up and ask as soon as possible. Professors will provide their contact information and how to best reach them.
Take advantage of the online tutoring platform, Smarthinking. Access is available through your D2L course shell and tutoring is available for a wide variety of subjects.
Check out these other Student Success Videos for Online Learners.
- Wintrode Tutoring and Supplementation Instruction: Beginning today, Wintrode Tutoring and SI services are available online.
- Registration Help Sessions: We have Registration Help Sessions available for students who need assistance with course registration in Self-service. This flyer includes details, along with a Zoom link that will be used for these sessions. (Note: These sessions were scheduled prior to the transition to online service delivery, but will be offered through Zoom now rather than face-to-face.)
- Success Coaching: Any undergraduate student who needs assistance with the transition to online courses can used these instructions to schedule a success coaching appointment through ConnectState. Students also are welcome to contact the Wintrode Student Success Center at 605-688-4155 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment. Our Success Coach will help students with navigating D2L or online resources, time management, course/assignment management, and with developing study skills to support online learning.
Be Aware of What Is Happening
Check the Emergency Management website for university related Coronavirus Updates.
Check your Jacks Email for university communications specific to students.
Contact Distance@sdstate.edu for questions.