Mechanical Engineering students gain significant preparation to practice engineering when involved with on-site engineering design projects. A limited amount of academic credit can be earned for such experiences. To ensure relevant experiential learning, internship/coop assignments need to be design/engineering-related with a requirement of completed technical engineering reports and presentations plus process feedback via on-site evaluation and closure interviews. The process is structured to promote the integration of a student's classroom study with supervised professional work experiences in industry or with engineering agencies. For information on earning academic credit for an internship experience, contact the Mechanical Engineering department's internship coordinator, Mr. Michael Twedt (Michael.Twedt@sdstate.edu).
Finding an Internship
The department encourages and assists students in setting up internship positions with industries and agencies. Internship/Coop position announcements are regularly sent to mechanical engineering students through their Jacks email accounts. Opportunities and contact information are also posted at the following locations:
- outside the Mechanical Engineering main office (CEH 216)
- at the SDSU Career Center (online at, then Campanile Connections)
- at the State's Dakota Seeds website (http://www.dakotaseeds.com).
Students often identify opportunities themselves through previous jobs and contacts in their local communities.
Internships are available locally in Brookings as well as throughout the region and nation.
- Daktronics - Brookings SD
- 3M Medical Products - Brookings, SD
- Falcon Plastics - Brookings, SD
- Showplace Wood Products - Sioux Falls, SD
- Johnson Controls, Inc. - Sioux Falls, SD
- Sioux Corporation - Beresford, SD
- Adams Thermal Systems - Canton, SD
- Horton, Inc. - Britton, SD
- Raven Industries - Sioux Falls, SD
- Crimson Fire - Brandon, SD
- POET Energy - Sioux Falls, SD
- Masaba Mining Equipment - Vermillion, SD
- Tessier's, Inc. - Mitchell, SD
- Terex Utilities - Watertown, SD
- Twin City Fan & Blower - Brookings, SD
- Missouri River Energy Services - Sioux Falls, SD
- General Motors Co. - Pontiac, MI
- Bobcat - Gwinner, ND
- Xcel Nuclear - Monticello, MN
- Pella Corp. - Sioux Center, IA
- Goodrich - Jamestown, ND
- Great River Energy - Stanton, ND